Friday, January 13, 2012

Finally Completed Motion to Modify Custody/Child Support paperwork!

It's been a busy, stressful and chaotic last few months, all with the holidays, trying to get presents for the kids, day and night work schedules, kids school schedules etc. You know, typical American family life, made more stressful by a severe handicap to available funds, known as child support.

I was finally able to complete my filing paperwork, which was no easy task, considering how long it ended up being. I had to be as thorough, and all encompassing as possible, listing all my concerns in as much detail as possible, because I am sending this off to the Child Support Administrations internal modification program. What this is, is instead of filing normal paperwork, which costs hundreds of dollars, and having a court date set, instead you fill out the required administrative paperwork sent by my Department of Human Service's child support division, and send it back. The process is 'free' as far as I can tell, at least until a court appearance is ordered, which I'm still not sure would happen. The drawback, is I don't really get to plea face-to-face with the Judge, for better or for worse, so I wanted to make sure every last thing I wanted to say would be included in the attachment I typed up. This ended up being a whopping 11 pages, typed in MS Word. The other drawback, is once the Child Support Division receives your paperwork, they immediately send it to the other part for their response, giving them 30 days to respond. Depending on the results from this it could go a couple of different ways.
1) If no response is returned, they might push my request through to the judge to have it signed off
[more than likely, with such a complicated matter, involving not just child support but custody and paternity information, this would probably not be pencil whipped by any Judge]
2) If a written response is returned by the other party, disagreeing or contesting my motion, I believe they then send this to the Judge for determination and Judgment.

At least that's how It seems to work. The entire process will no doubt take many precious months of waiting, and more crippling child support payments being deducted from my pay. Nothing happens fast in the legal system, except where money collection is requested and processed.

I will mail this off, and hope for the best...perhaps I will get extremely lucky and my ex-wife will not receive the document [due to her having moved to an address she has not provided me nor the court with] or may not respond correctly or in time. Though, if it's a matter of her losing out on child support free money, I'm sure she will scribble something down and respond, if she receives it.

Due to it's length, and the personal nature of the details involved, I won't upload the exact 11 page text of my request here...however, if anyone commenting here is curious as to what or how I addressed a certain subject or area of concern, please comment and I will reply with the info you desire.

After all, the whole point of this blog is to share and help each other out by comparing notes/advice/situations etc. So just comment here like I said, if interested in more details...!

2 comments:

  1. When I was approved for a modification, my ex's child care expense dropped by ~$600, but my child support modification only dropped by ~$90. Something is really off with their "calculator."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. They keep the algorithms and calculations 'hidden' behind the scenes because if they were to out-right print them out, people would see immediately how biased and off they are!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments polite/respectful, on task, and appropriate to the subject matter. Absolutly no Spam or Advertisements. They will be deleted. Backlinks to your own related site or article is acceptable, however.