Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Oregon Modification of Child Support decision 2 days away!

Needless to say, my wife and I have been holding our breath for the last month awaiting this day, which will be Friday, March 9th. It is the day that is 30 days past due for a response from my Ex, and therefore what has occurred prior to this day will determine the next course of action.

Basically, I will call tomorrow to the DHS (Division of Human Services 'Child Support'] and the next day, to inquire on the status: Has she responded? If yes, what next...a telephone hearing with the Judge? -or a scheduled real one? The best and most hopeful status would be that she has not responded at all, and that they would simply grant my request for the lowered amount without a fight, have it stamped 'DONE' and provide my family with crucial and much needed relief from the overbearing and ridiculous amount of child support being drawn from my paycheck.

Even with that, it won't be by much, but it might just be enough for my household to return to a somewhat stable financial situation...without the utilities being shut off, without bills piling up so bad cancellations and collections are sent to our credit report. (These have happened already).

Perhaps then I can begin the long process of repairing our credit, paying off the credit card I’ve had to max out, paying for such daily expenses as FOOD and GAS. I can begin contributing back to my retirement as any normal person should, more than 2% that I had to reduce it to, currently. I can perhaps reduce my payroll tax deductions again to prevent having to pay the IRS next year etc. etc. In the last 6 months, I've all but completely drained the one small mutual fund I had...just to pay for Christmas presents for the kids, mortgage and utility bills, and food. That fund is gone now, and we are literally hanging by a thread as we speak.

 As I write this, my account will bounce tomorrow, another overdraft fee assessed, as the overdue cell phone bill will pull more from our account than is currently in there. I just found out our Dental insurance coverage has been cancelled, due to lack of payment. I had to charge gas just to get to work, as well as my meal to my credit card, as my paycheck doesn't deposit until tomorrow. When it does, it will be quickly absorbed, of course, into our once-again-due mortgage payment, and 1-month past due bills. My wife was almost stranded at her job today because the cable/internet bill auto-pulled their overdue amount, leaving $0.00 dollars in our checking.

This reality may seem incredible to anyone reading this, which as my sites stat page shows, isn't anyone at the moment... but I assure you I am probably far from alone in this hell. I fear that most fathers fall into two categories...those that can afford a lawyer to fight this system, and come out at least in a tolerable situation; and those like me that have been hit so hard, have been punished so severely by a callous, lazy and uncaring Judge, that I cannot afford a lawyer, so must try to fight the system at completely unfair odds. Worse yet, are those that are uneducated, or uncaring, or in hiding...and do nothing - or overwhelmed and completely broke, as the system draws from them whatever they can, and spits them out.

Perhaps someday, when I start to get visitors here, my story will shed some light on some of the injustices being experienced here in the Oregon Child Support system. As I've said when I wrote the first post here, I hope something positive will come of this blog.

In the mean time, I have to nervously wait the hours and minutes going by, until Friday morning comes, where I call the DHS office and wait with a mixture of dread, and hope...for the outlook of our future...

1 comment:

Please keep comments polite/respectful, on task, and appropriate to the subject matter. Absolutly no Spam or Advertisements. They will be deleted. Backlinks to your own related site or article is acceptable, however.